Our mission is to create an inclusive, safe, queer youth community, to raise consciousness about LGBTQI+ youth rights, find strength together, have fun and tell our stories to the world.
Our values are solidarity, diversity and participation. We are committed to constructive and non-violent communication, believing in creativity as a source of empowerment. We work from a queer feminist perspective and our activities are inspired by self- and collective care and wellbeing for resilience.
- provide a counter narrative to the negativity and ignorance about LGBTQIA young people held by the general public by becoming more visible and communicating our personal stories, expressing our identities and values.
- create a safe, nurturing space where hurt can be healed, resilience developed and hope can grow
- reduce isolation, nurture friendships, build community
- empower the next generation of community organizers
- provide a counter narrative to the negativity and ignorance about LGBTQIA young people held by the general public by becoming more visible and communicating our personal stories, expressing our identities and values
Our team and strategy
QTY is a youth-led, grass roots organisation, part of the Trans*parent (https://jsmetransparent.cz/) family. Activities are planned and organised by young people for young people.
The Action Team is a group of youth volunteers who communicate with the wider QTY community to plan and organise events. The Moderation Team provides daily support on the Discord server. In this way we aim to cultivate a new generation of community organisers working together and caring for each other.
Teams receives support from qualified therapists who are LGBTQI+ community organizers and the co-founders of QTY. They facilitate online and in-person support groups and provide administrative support.
We collaborate and synergize with established NGOs (LGBTQI+ advocacy/rights, mental health support, education) who share our goals, and have built a strong youth presence in the adult LGBTQI+community.
We work with youth people from age 13 to 21, and we have developed guidelines to ensure the safety of participants. A code of conduct is clearly stated to all those who join the secure Discord server, the chats are moderated by a team who meet regularly to assess any risks (conflicts, potential trolls). Trigger warnings and text blackout are used consistently. We have a dedicated section listing services to support youth facing harassment, bullying, domestic violence, and mental health issues. If the moderators become aware of a young person who is in crisis, the QTY therapists are available for consultations live or online, and referrals are made to appropriate support services.
For prevention, we offer regular workshops on self care, focusing on strategies for managing anxiety, depression, non-violent communication, safer sex and consent.
A buddy system supports those who feel unsure or anxious about attending events in person.
From 2016 to 2018, all work was done on a voluntary basis. Since 2018 we have received three annual grants from the FRIDA Young Feminist Fund (https://youngfeministfund.org/)
We work in partnership with: